Oh! Dear! I missed the One Monthly Goal deadline 😦 My March goal was to finish the stripy quilt (now named the ‘Three Twenties’ quilt) and write a tutorial. I did fairly well keeping momentum with the piecing – even giving myself enough time to wait for an on-line fabric purchase to arrive – but the quilting caught me out, taking far longer than I’d allowed. Still, as my boys delight in teasing me, ‘nothing ventured, nothing gained!’ (Venture was my word for 2017). Learn is my word for 2018 and I can safely say I have been learning as I’ve made the Three Twenties quilt 😀
Here it is finished.
And the back…
I’m glad I incorporated the label into the pieced backing. I like the way the quilting stitches have made the label part of the quilt – it was worth a bit of forward planning 🙂
I decided to name this quilt ‘Three Twenties’ as the number twenty and it’s multiples kept cropping up in the cutting and piecing of the quilt top: I began with twenty width of fabric neutral strips; in each of the four ‘blocks’ there are twenty 2½” squares; and each of the four blocks is constructed from five strip units. The finished quilt measures 49½” x 52½”.
To make the stripy units I used a roll of twenty 2½” wide width of fabric strips. I cut each strip into four pieces: 16″, 12″, 8″ and 4″. I looked through my stash to find complimentary fabrics to use for the 2½” squares. There are 80 of these squares, equivalent to five width of fabric strips.
I arranged the cut strips and squares in the following way to form strip units and then stitched them together to form four rectangular ‘blocks’ (the blue rectangles should be squares but something weird happened in the copy-paste process!):
Once the the blocks were completed I stitched a 10½” x 4½” piece of the background fabric to one end of each block.
I then cut four 2½” wof strips from the background and sewed them end to end. I then cut this long strip down into three 50½” sashing strips. I arranged the blocks and units as follows:
Finally I cut three 4½” wof strips from the background fabric, stitched them end to end (with diagonal seams) and then cut two pieces 50½” long, one for the top border, one for the bottom.
The backing I pieced from some extra wide cotton fabric, some of the background fabric and some neural fabrics from my stash. I made the quilt label by printing out computer generated wording onto paper and then tracing it on to a piece of unbleached calico using a fine tip permanent marker pen.
I used Quilter’s Dream Green wadding. I like using this manufacturer’s polyester wadding as it is a consistent thickness throughout, is soft to touch, doesn’t ‘beard’ and seems to ‘grip’ the layers of a quilt sandwich reducing the risk of puckering etc. The Green version of Quilter’s Dream wadding is made from recycled plastic bottles so that’s an added, cool, plus point!
I pin basted the layers together and used my Pfaff Ambition Essential domestic machine to quilt it all together. My machine has an integral walking foot and I combined this with an open toe applique foot. I picked on using four Aurifil threads (2370, 2314, 2915 and 2125) and basically stitched wavy lines approximately ¾” apart from one side of the quilt to the other.
To create the ‘woody knots’ I just curved away from the previous line and then switched between reverse (purple pen) and forward (green pen) stitching to fill in the shape before continuing forwards to the edge of the quilt. In hindsight it would have been a lot quicker to stitch this design free-motion (see Angela Walters’ helpful tutorial) but as I said at the top, I am learning (but still feeling a bit wary of free motion quilting)!
I used more of the background fabric to make the double fold binding. I cut five 2¼” strips and added another 25″ from leftover strips. I machine stitched the binding to the back of the quilt before machine stitching it to the front. I used Aurifil 2400 50wt and the stitches barely show 🙂
For the quilt top and binding I reckon I used approximately 42″ of background fabric. I’d advise having nearer 1½yds or 1½ metres of fabric particularly if the width is a skimpy 40″. The excess can always become part of the backing or an addition to your stash box!
Linking with Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts for Let’s Bee Social.
Happy Stitching Everyone! (If you have any questions about making the Three Twenties quilt please use the comment section below 🙂 )